Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Variegated Peppermint Tree

In my opinion, this has to be one of the coolest trees. The colour is just fantastic. This tree has to be one of the major standouts in Kings Park. As far as I am aware this is the only one in the park.

This is native to South Western Australia and is a very distinctive, variegated and unusual form of the Western Australian Peppermint Tree aka Agonis Flexuosa.

The other peppermint tree that I know of is bright green and is also native to Western Australia. it can also be found in Kings Park









I just love these leaves to bits. They are long and skinny and have a lovely strong peppermint smell.


8 comments:

Randy said...

Oh my heavens, Laura! What a beautiful tree. Just gorgeous.

Wicked Gardener said...

Jamie and Randy sent me. Beautiful tree!!

Pam/Digging said...

Randy sent me over too. What a stunning tree! I remember Stuart at Gardening Tips 'n Ideas mentioning peppermint trees once before, and I had visions of candy peppermints hanging from the branches. The real thing is just as fantastic--a peppermint smell!

Is this the fall color, and if so, what does it look like in summer?

Lozza said...

Thankyou all for visiting. This tree is amazing.

Pam, the tree stays that colour year round. These pics were taken in February of this year, which is our summer.

Oh, the peppermint smell is just heavenly. Love it.

Jake said...

Hello, there! I am in love with Australia and it's plants. Thsi tree is an awesome tree.

Jake

KC MO Garden Guy said...

That is an amazing tree and smells like peppermint! Amazing! I found your blog from reading about it on Jamie and Randy's blog.

Lozza said...

Thanks everyone for popping in. I am glad you like this tree. I am off to check out your blogs :-)

Lawrence said...

Hi Lozza, I have been searching for this tree. I too have been to Kings Park, and this was the standout tree for me by far. I am in Brisbane, and would love it if you could point me to where I could buy this tree!! Thanks so much, Lawrence.